Wildlife Count: 1 rabbit, lots of butterflies and moths. The rabbit doesn't really count though, because it was in a neighbors lawn before we even got out of the court.
Start of the dad: Mom & dad can't find the beginning of the trail. While I find it, dad gets a flat. Needless to say, we are running late. Fortunately I had overcalculated the driving time and we still managed to start at noon.
Got to the campsite around 5, which put me at the 2 hr + 1 for 1000 ft rate. This is slower than I am used to, but there was a lot of incline + 50 lbs on my back. Hopefully I'll pick up the pace tomorrow. That is really my only concern--if I will be able to keep a pace that will get me to the top on Monday.
It's very quiet & peaceful. I already ate (1/2 lb pasta is too much) and cleaned, so I'll probably just read the rest of the night. No wildlife to speak of, but there were some interesting plants.
[pic1]
No blisters. What hurts most? My shoulders. Would kill for an Ozan massage. Other things that hurt: that little spot beneath the front of my right knee (patella?), especially on declines. Was worried about possible blisters on left foot.
When you are doing physical activity by yourself, you think of the weirdest things, Much of time I was thinking either--ow my shoulders are killing me, or--alright it's just around the bend, no it's around this one, no it must be around this bend. Also I had a conversation with myself (no speaking, it was all in my head) about how I missed Miami. Except of course it would never be like it was because only Dawn is left there. Hansen, Mike, Kelly, Joe, Roger and pretty much everyone else is gone.
There's a shelter here. It's pretty nice too. My first thought was to ditch the tent tonight, but I don't really have anything to keep the bugs away from my face. It's still pretty light out, I guess I should have hiked a bit more. Well, I'll know better tomorrow.
Oh yea, other things I conversed with myself about were how different I will be after the trip (mentally), how different work will be when I get back, and what a bitch Allyson is.
Sunday, August 11, 1996
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment