I'll admit, I'm a little nervous right now, for a couple of reasons. First, I'm camped at a picnic area, which I don't think I'm really supposed to be. So everytime I hear a car, I shut of my light (tonight that would be me candle). Also, I'm in this thicket of knee high something. It's very concealing, exactly the type of place I would hide if I were a snake.
Other than that, a decent day. I made 19 mile today, and boy am I feeling it. It seems that I miscalculated. If I want to stay where I really wanted the last night (tomorrow), instead of doing 15's today & tomorrow, I had to do 35 1/2. So that still leaves me with 16 1/2 tomorrow. If my legs really give me shit (because of today), I can always do 10-12 tomorrow and 10 the next day.
It turns our, I actually had a fourth blister on my left foot. I don't think I have any new ones today, but my feet re pretty sore, so they might develop tomorrow.
Pretty low on the animal count today--only 3 deer. No bear.
Snapped a couple of shots today.
I had my 2nd lunch of the day at Panorama (Thorton Gap). It was alright. Everybody in the log books were raving about the food at the restaurants--I'm not sure why. I guess because it's not Ramen Noodles.
Saw a few over-nighters. Chatted with a few at one of the day shelters. A lot more day people probably because it's the weekend.
More hiking notes: Need more moleskin. But buckle to fix Andy's broken hip buckle. Buy poncho to replace one I lost yesterday. Fingernail clippers.
Another reason to be nervous: falling tree branches. What I guess would be a small one just hit my tent.
The bugs haven't really been a problem at all this trip. Probably because of the less than steller weather. I think I got a few bites today. I think that's because I'm starting to small really good abot now. Two tough days and no shower. There might be one about a mile away, but I'm not sure if I'll use it. It partly depends on what time I get up and get moving (btw, it takes me about an hour to break camp by myself.). Also, at the beginning of the day, why bother? I'm just going to sweat for the next 10 hrs.
Looks like two sizeable climbs tomorrow. About 1000 ft (right off the bat) and a 750 fter. The end of the day should be pretty easy, but tough on the knees--3-4 miles downhill.
One final bitch for the day. I have a lump on my left ankle, which I hope is just a bruise from the boots.
Had a decent day, took it too fast. There were some good views. It's pretty neat to be at a cliff or mountain peak, see all the mountains ahead of you and know that you'll be on top of them soon.
Saturday, August 17, 1996
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment