Monday, August 19, 1996

Shenandoah, Day 9

I'm home now, in bed--imagine that. Today's 3.8 was short, but a lot more strenous than I had anticipated. No animals to report.

I forgot to mention yesterday, while I was at Wayside, I pink-blazed. I figured it was just another one of those expierences you had to do--like eat at the Panorama, or putting moleskin on your blisters.

Since I've been home I did go to REI to pick up more of that magical stuff. I also got Andy's buckle and new (hopefully better) insoles. I also too a peek at the maps from 522 to Harpers Ferry. The southern half looks pretty tough, the northern half a little better.

When I got up btw, I had a nice warm breakfast and then decided to depart. It was just time.

It certainly would be something to do the whole 2155 miles, but I don't know if my body could take. The blisters would go away, but the knees are a bit shaky. They pop a lot more than I think they should. I did properly take care of my wounds when I got home. (After a nice long shower.)

Man, I don't know what else there is to say. I certainly have more thoughts & stories that I don't have time to records. Like the joke I found in one of the log books, for instance:
Baby bear: Mama, I have to go to the bathroom.
Mama bear: Number 1 or number 2?
Baby bear: Number 2.
Mama bear: Wait 'till we get to the Appalachian Trail.
Or the stories about how Pete used to grow pot until his friend got busted. Or even one of the dreams I had (let's just say, Cher was in it). But, you know, I can't write everything down.

This trip does rank way up there with my other two greatest personal achievements--getting certified for scuba, and having a piece I wrote and performed copyrighted and put in the music library. I guess the trip makes #4, because there was also the standing ovation I got when Mike & performed my very first piece. Anyway, this was great. Definitely a life experience.

James

"ZenBoy & MooseJuice"

No comments: