Thursday, August 15, 1996

Shenandoah, Day 5

Don't end up sleeping in shelter--after 1/2 of listening to the mice, decided to tent it. I'm at Bearfence Mtn Hut, so I'll try again tonight.

Yep, B-Fence, quite a bit short of Big Meadows. Oh well, I need to sit down and readjust my mileage for the extra day anyway.

Another frog and 3 deer.

I stopped to snap some photos today. At the same time, I whipped out my maps while at Hightop and found out exactly what I was looking at. That was a new perk, to stare at the mountains and actually know the names of them and how they lie.

I also stopped at Lewis Campground, had some food, a shower, + nearly got my socks dry in the dryer (those wool socks take forever!)

Btw Joe, found out a good (what's the opposite of acronym--the definition itself?) for BAH-"Bitches and Ho's."

Got my first blister today. Right foot, fourth toe. No doubt from wet socks.

Man, this morning I was in some pain. My knees hurt so bad. I thought it would jeopardize my trip, but after I few miles, I forgot about them.

For the future: I might try to go from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry before I ditch VA. Looks like only about 50 miles. Also, I think I'm going to buy one of those big AT maps and blow up the Shany part and put it on my wall. I think I'll need to come back two more times too. Once just to snap some shots of things I didn't this time. (I'm marking the good sport, and should be able to get to them with only a mile or go hike from car.) Also, it might be nice to come here with Ray, Joe, And + and rent Pocosin Cabin (or other). They're rented by PATC, not Shany. Supposed to be a good view, not far from road, and we could leave all our stuff there and day hike--SANS pack.

Spending the night here with Pete (Pat?). Older gentleman. Basically been on the road since '89 when his friend got busted for marijuana. (You can tell, too.) Nice enough, gave me a beer and is bringing some wine

Yeah, that annoying shoe think again today.

It's almost 8, so it'll be getting dark soon. Guess I'll check out the maps and make some dinner.

"I'm a little right headed, but I can suck."

"I was born yesterday, but not on that bus."

No comments: