The trek that wouldn't end. By 7 I was up and having a pancake in the kitcken. We were off by 8. It took us about 2 hrs to get to the hotel Mera in Lukla where we had hired Kumar. After reading the English Newspaper I asked what time our flight was. I was told not until tomorrow. This is not what had been said the previous night. I was pissed.
A few hours later I was in the bar next door getting pissed (in the English sense). The two Brits in shorts from Labouche showed up so we drank beers and shot pool for about 6 hrs. I had already walked though roan twice and there was nothing else to do. The one place to claim internet access on their sign did not in fact have it. I did buy a book since I finished mine. Initially I was just reading that in the bar when the two English chaps came in.
A number of beers later I was less upset about being stuck inLukla, and in fact was having a good time with Joss and Luke. I brought my mp3 player down and we swapped musical influences. After a while I left to grab some dinner but was supposed to meet up again at the bar at 8:30.
Around 7:30 I had finished eating dinner and talking with Alex & John (from NZ and Tennessee) and was ready to go back. Kagi said I was not allowed to. I was told that the rebel activity was bad after dark. I saw no such activity. Also, in my walk of the city, I noticed that the Nepal Army was dressed in blue cami's--not sure what they were trying to blend in with. This was also the same army hanging their laundry to dry on the barbed wire fence around the entire airport, but at the same time left a locked gate to the runway completely open.
So now at 8, I am pissed again. While I've had a few memorable experiences, I've largely felt like the trip back from Kala Pathar has been wasted.
I'm looking forward to being back in KTM tomorrow--fingers crossed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment