Friday, April 16, 2004

Nepal. 16 April

Got up pretty early (actually I kept waking thinking it was 5), skipped breakfast and went to the airport. The flights go as the weather goes in Lukla. We were late taking off, but by the time we left, 3 other flights were leaving as well.

Chandra met me at the airport and we went back to the hotel. We discussed my plans for the next days. Of course it was more expensive that I wanted, but not unreasonable. I was opting out of Pokhara and spending an extra day in KTM before going to Chitwan. Then I'd have a few days in KTM again. Tomorrow would be a sight-seeing day.

It turned out that the one ATM I knew that accepted Visa was broken. Actually, it was Joss who told me this as I ran into him on the street. In took me quite a while to find another. I actually had to find a bank and do a cash advance (I later found a 2nd Visa ATM). I got out enough for Chandra plus a little more.

I checked email and then had a beer. I meant to go to an Irish pub called Foley's, but I walked up the wrong stairs. No problem, they were playing Robert Cray, so I bought a $2-22 oz beer (the best thing KTM has going for it), and sipped.

Within only a few blocks of this part of Thamel are the 2 ATM's, the pub I was in, Foley's, the music store, a good bookstore ("Barnes & Noble"), and of all things…a Tequila bar! I had found my dinner spot and went back to square up with Chandra.

We had coffee and chatted for a while. I don't remember much other than how hard it is to get a visa to the US.

After that I went to the teq bar. I asked what they had and they pointed to a bottle of Sauza Blanco! I left. There was another Mexican restaurant across the way, so I tried my luck again. This time just Cuervo Silver. I ended up eating at a place with wood fired pizza. It wasn't bad, but still needed work.

I walked home after that. On the way there I ran into the 4 Canadians. We chatted a bit then split. I checked to se if my laundry was dry (I had done laundry in the sink earlier) and turned on the TV. "Heathers" was on, so I watched that and went to bed.

No comments: